Why I Prefer Adobe Fireworks over Photoshop for Designing Websites
April 4th, 2011 by Mike Locke  |  15 Comments »

Dan
    April 4th, 2011 at 9:24 pm

Mike, you did a really good job at showing how useful designing templates can be using Fireworks. With me being new in the web industry, coming across your video tutorials helped influence my decision on getting started. Keep updating!

April 5th, 2011 at 9:43 am

@Dan – Thanks Dan, much appreciate the positive feedback. It lets me know that these video blogs are helping someone.

Hadyware
    April 5th, 2011 at 11:55 am

Mike, you really help me much – thank you hope the best for you always and wait for your new videos …

Michael Locke
    April 5th, 2011 at 2:07 pm

@Hadyware – Too kind, thank you.

Alessandro
    April 26th, 2011 at 9:41 am

Michael I’m reading your posts and watching your videos. Your work is awesome. Not being english mothertongue, I can’t appreciate the full speech; but I’m trying to absorb as much as I can!

Vincent
    May 28th, 2011 at 1:32 am

Mike, Fireworks seems so awesome now, I’ve never actually tried working in it before though. Do you think it would be easy to go from working in photoshop to fireworks?

Thanks for all of your videos by the way, you always have awesome posts

May 28th, 2011 at 8:18 am

@Vincent – thanks!…yeah, I love Fireworks. I do think you can go from Photoshop to Fireworks, but most people tend to like what they’re most comfortable with. You might be used to doing things in Photoshop so switching between the two should be seamless. But I would say definitely check out Fireworks but continue to use both. They’re both from the same company and can work together so I would say use both where you think is best.

SRaitis
    May 31st, 2011 at 2:28 am

So if Fireworks works with vectors just like Illustrator would, then would it be smart to consider switching from Illustrator to Fireworks?

May 31st, 2011 at 9:47 am

@SRaitis – Actually, you wouldn’t switch entirely because Adobe Illustrator is still needed for print work. For example, you can’t export to .EPS files using Fireworks and also Fireworks doesn’t support CMYK colors which many times is needed when you’re getting things printed through a printing company (such as business cards, posters and brochures, etc.). But creating vector files like logos and illustrations that will be used for the web can easily be done in Fireworks.

Melissa
    September 15th, 2011 at 1:58 pm

Thank you so much for this! I have watched several of your videos and I noticed in one that you used Fireworks. I have used Photoshop, InDesign and Dreamweaver but not Fireworks. So I did a few quick searches on when it’s best to use Fireworks vs Photoshop or Dreamweaver and I didn’t really find any good information – then I went back to your tutorials and lo and behold this was there waiting for me all along.

Your tutorials are like your designs – simple, straightforward, and inspirational. I am considering getting into the UI/UX Design field and your videos have really helped me a lot so far with some of the basic questions I had. Keep making them!

September 15th, 2011 at 5:03 pm

@Melissa – Thanks for the kind words. I’m glad you found this video in your search. If you browse through my blog archive, there are some other “Adobe Fireworks” videos you may find of value.

chaddustin
    December 8th, 2011 at 7:50 am

As a student, your videos are very helpful and informative. Exactly what’s needed when just starting out. Thanks for posting, keep them coming… I was wondering what Fireworks was really for. In school I’ve learned every piece of software in the CS5 suite but Fireworks.

December 8th, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Hi Chad, they did you wrong by not introducing you to Fireworks. I’ve been solely using it now for 10 years. It feel its the best tool around. My web design training course goes deep into understanding how to use Adobe Fireworks effectively to create beautiful interfaces and designs.

Erick
    November 25th, 2012 at 10:03 am

Finally. Someone that agrees with me. I have been using Fireworks back since it was owned by MacroMedia. FW’s UI Tools are more robust for designing simple to complex vector style shapes in less time, as web assets. The Pages; the grid plugins; Fast HTML Prototyping; Interactive tools–now with Mobile JQuery Plugin, and adding Symbols. Even Photoshop does not add symbols, and worse–it can not group Shapes. But PSD is now more USER FRIENDLY with Smart Guides. I am actually a professional PSD Illustrator and compositor…It’s that graphic designers transitioned it from comps to web design and prototypes, when they should have been educated in FW. I happened to start in Web Design before transitioning to Graphic and Illustration Design. Fireworks rocks. I plan to work for Adobe and become a Fireworks “Evangelist”..How to PimpFW :P on those Nationwide Conference classes.

November 27th, 2012 at 9:49 pm

@Erick – Thanks for the insightful feedback. ;)