Learning Web Design & Development through Trial and Error
May 23rd, 2012 by Mike Locke  |  8 Comments »

In this video I talk about the importance of learning through trial and error. There’s no substitution for getting in the trenches and working through issue and problems through the course of a project.

Vishnu
    May 24th, 2012 at 9:50 am

Hey Mike,

Great to see you back! Was waiting for your video. My work is going great! Thanks for all your support and advice. I am doing what I love :)

Cheers,
    Vishnu

Ramon Ramirez
    May 24th, 2012 at 10:54 am

Hello Mike,

I just wanted to tell you that you have inspired me to keep going and keep learning web design. I have done so many different things just by looking at your site and watching your videos, I added a blog to my html site, added most recent post to my home page, I even shot a couple of videos and posted them on my blog f.g.s., and having tons of fun doing it. Thanks again ~Ramon

May 24th, 2012 at 3:49 pm

@Vishnu – Good to hear man, thanks for dropping a line and letting me know things are going well.

@Ramon – Thanks for the kind words. As I mentioned in my video, there’s nothing greater than hearing feedback like this. I’m glad I can inspire you to explore and do new things in web design. Keep rockin!

Walt
    May 25th, 2012 at 4:47 am

Mike
    Like your videos and work. I have a question… What are the advantages of working in Fireworks? Is it better for someone new to design to learn Fireworks and Dreamweaver or just work on Dreamweaver? Thanks for your input.

Scott
    May 25th, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Michael.. More great advise.. I have been following you and your video blog for some months now and you are an inspiration. I always look forward to your next post. Keep up the great work!

Kris Jolls
    May 25th, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Thanks for the inspiration. Really needed it and it worked. Plowed through last night and am closer to finding my own answer :)

May 25th, 2012 at 6:05 pm

@Scott – Thanks for the feedback. Glad you find my blog content valuable.

@Walt – Dreamweaver and Fireworks are two different applications that are designed to work together. Adobe Fireworks is an interface design tool while Dreamweaver is development tool used to code your site. In my option, Fireworks is the best interface design tool for any level.

Kevin Esther
    May 26th, 2012 at 2:23 am

Over the past few weeks this is something am doing more of but recently over the last week I slipped back into consuming information. Mike thinks reminding me again about learning from just experimenting and building.

The mock-ups I have been posting on twitter will now be transformed into working websites.Sometimes you need a kick up the butt just to refocus again.

I think it’s easy for someone new to get stuck in this cycle of consuming information and not moving forward.

The video on practicing design is been such a big help to me.

Refocused on the right path. Thanks Kev