Content Centered Design – Web Design Tips
August 2nd, 2012 by Mike Locke  |  8 Comments »

In this video I touch on the importance of content centered design. The idea of making sure you design your websites based on the content and not try to fit content within a certain framework.

Sandeep Pyati
    August 4th, 2012 at 10:25 am

Dear Sir,

My Name is Sandeep Pyati. I am from India. I really like your videos. Your advices and videos really great.

Ilya
    August 5th, 2012 at 11:48 am

Mike, thx for your work, you are great GUI designer, and you make inspired a lot of people, keep goin’. im from Russia and your tips are very usefull for my everyday work and parallel projects. Would be great to watch video about working with clients, some details about your own estimating system, because i have a real problems with estimating and dates planning, want to know your own point of view and some technics and advices!

Kevin Esther
    August 5th, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I have experienced this. Where your waiting on content. Can be tempting to just get started. But designing without content doesn’t end well.

I agree it has to be content centered. This way you understand the needs of the client and their goals.

I followed your advice. Pulled together all content in one document for recent design for a client. The Design is better with Less down time.

Thanks for other great Video.

Tom Harrington
    August 8th, 2012 at 10:18 am

You mean that the client is supposed to supply the content? I’m being a bit facetious but truly the people I’ve worked with so far I end up having to come up with the content. I talk to them first but maybe what I need to do at least is more of an interview with them up front where we both agree who will create what. Thanks as always Michael, love your videos. I need to pull the trigger and join! BTW I checked out your resume on Linked In, pretty impressive!

Globizs
    August 17th, 2012 at 10:06 pm

This is a great video with full of tips and advices. It will really work. Thanks for sharing this video tips.

Lykourgos
    August 27th, 2012 at 6:09 am

Mike, thanks for all videos you provide us! Just a few questions on this subject cause I got a little bit confused. Τhe client is supposed to supply the content( refering to text basicly) or create it myself? I’m asking because i think the second option is a bit pain in the neck and waste of some time for creating a site.

Could you give some more sites like pattertap, that are guides and give inspiration on design, layout and creating content( like you said at about 4.20′ )?

p.s I would really like to see some more videos-tutorials on youtube such as the design of a Mac monitor, or the Twitter cloud effect, or the Billboard Design etc etc you had made in the past

Duke
    September 26th, 2012 at 1:41 pm

Incredible and relevant advice. Keep it coming Mike!

Dougieladd
    November 12th, 2012 at 3:42 am

Yeah Mike, really enjoy your tips… I’ve been a designer for years and years, and its nice to have another perspective. Plus I get to tune up and get those cobwebs blown away. I might even defect to Fireworks, I like the process and the easy mock of actual functional layouts for sign off, nice process. Cheers!