Web Design Advice on Copying Websites (for Practice)
May 29th, 2014 by Mike Locke  |  7 Comments »

In this video I share some tips and advice on what to focus on when copying websites for your practice exercise, helping you grow your Web Visual Design skills.

Juan Sidberry
    May 29th, 2014 at 12:56 pm

Mike, like the video. The message is clear. The purpose of copying a website is to learn from the process. Really appreciate what you do.

Norman Ibe
    May 29th, 2014 at 5:39 pm

Mike, thanks for this video, you’ve mention this thing before, regarding copying websites from pixel to pixel for education purposes… but I really didn’t put it into practice.

I’ll try to do this activity this weekend! cheers! :)

Kris Jolls
    May 29th, 2014 at 7:27 pm

I’ve done this practice on Mikes advice a couple of time and it is very beneficial. I have my eye on a design style I want to mimic and think I’ll do another exercise like this.

May 29th, 2014 at 8:35 pm

@Jaun – Thanks buddy, appreciate the feedback.

@Norman – Yes sir, put it into practice, its a great exercise.

@Kris – Once you start copying for practice, you’ll start to clearly see and understand the potential of what you can design. It gets you excited when you begin to design similar to other top designers. Its a great practice.

Mark
    May 31st, 2014 at 10:55 pm

Pretty funny, im on some random baseball site I never heard of (sports on earth) reading a dee gordon article, and when I get to comment section Im like “Hey that guys avatar looks pretty familiar”. So It hits me, ah that’s the guy on youtube that i watch some tutorials about fireworks and has a training site. Anyway I thought it was strange and maybe a sign i should join your site. ( i did have it bookmarked as a possible site i would join as i felt your one of the most personable and well spoken people i have watched video’s on before).

June 1st, 2014 at 9:52 am

@Mark – Thanks Mark, ha ha… yes, you can find me all over various sports sites commenting on the Dodgers and NBA articles. :)

Keith
    August 5th, 2014 at 11:47 pm

Thanks for the tip, Mike… looking forward to copying my first website.