Become More Productive, Reach Your Goals!
June 6th, 2014 by Mike Locke  |  12 Comments »

In this video I talk about why we’re not as productive as we can be and how we can change that.

Juan Sidberry
    June 6th, 2014 at 2:25 pm

Outstanding, Mike. I watched this first thing this morning. I forward this vlog to my mom because the way you explained this will connect-the-dots on some of the things she and I talk about. Really appreciate what you shared here.

June 6th, 2014 at 3:48 pm

That’s cool Juan, glad you like what I talk about. Thanks for watching and sharing.

Sam
    June 6th, 2014 at 4:15 pm

Fantastic video regardless of the field you’re in. Your comment mike, about social media and people feeling like they are missing out certainly strikes a chord with me. The reason why, is that I was training in a public area with a friend of mind and noticed a lot of people with smart phones. I told my friend to stop and watch everyone passing through and I can recall the ratio of people using smart phones vs. not using them, was every 2 in 3 people, who were most likely using social media. This to me is a scary figure to witness.

I think with distractions, I find it helps to tie this in with breaks etc., so if I have a coffee or lunch break, I use that time to update myself on whatever I feel the need to be updated on, like Facebook, or YouTube videos, etc. to get it out of my system for the day and not have it impact on set productivity time. But at the same time I also try to go down to my local cafe to disconnect from it all as well. But I am still guilty of breaking my own curfew from time to time.

I like your idea of watching something over and over again, re-reading a reminder or note that you have written yourself, I’ll have to give that a try.

Clark
    June 7th, 2014 at 6:45 am

Another great video Mike, but Nike said it best…”Just Do It”.

Haldun
    June 7th, 2014 at 10:58 am

Hi Mike,

Thank you very much for this video post! I am really happy to hear that you are also listening Napoleon Hill and motivational videos; that tells me that I am on the right track!!! Keep it up!

Regards!
    Haldun

June 9th, 2014 at 12:59 pm

@Sam – Yes, the distractions are real. And they’re not going away. Its just a matter of reminding ourselves to take breaks, put more emphasis on strong quality focus (no distraction) time.

@Clark – Yes, we just gotta do it. No one else will.

@Haldun – Love Napoleon Hill’s success principles. They’re timeless.

Kris Jolls
    June 10th, 2014 at 12:12 am

Even during breaks they can be a drain to our focus. Take a break and drink water or what not without the phone is great for putting in real good chunks of time. One small distraction could be a rabbit hole to fifteen minutes gone and motivation sinking. Great post Mike.

June 10th, 2014 at 10:58 am

@Kris – So true man. One thing I noticed is that when I “unplug” for an hour or so, I feel like this little feeling of power, some sort of accomplishment. You feel good that you’ve fought off the noise for the moment. You keep doing this and it becomes a habit and you start to really enjoy the process of being productive. When you’re productive, it makes you feel like the entire day was a good day.

chris g
    June 15th, 2014 at 4:59 am

Thanks Mike, Your videos give me that wake up call that I need every once in a while to keep myself on track with my goals. Keep up the awesome work.

Raphael Lopez
    June 16th, 2014 at 8:46 am

Perfect timing for this video Mike. I needed to hear this. I just moved into a new home with my wife and we’ve been distracted with so many things. It’s been tough to get back on track with all the moving around and the new neighborhood. There are great people here.. but it’s time to turn off the noise and get back into my portfolio… As always thanks again for the motivation ;)

June 17th, 2014 at 4:14 pm

@Chris – Thanks man, glad you appreciated the vid.

@Raphael – Family always comes first, but yeah we always need a little push to get back on the grind! Glad I can motivate!

juanma
    July 3rd, 2014 at 7:00 am

@mlwebco
    what do you think about the length of the technical skills to be needing gain a ui/ux designer? is really important to learn html5 & css3 as far as less/sass? or have we work long beyond of the designer tools as JS frameworks too (JSangular or JSnode, etx)?